Thursday, January 29, 2015

Raindrop Story

By: Shellby, Mrs. Seely's 5th Grade Class
 


     “My friends and I were just lying on the surface of the aqua blue Atlantic Ocean when we heard a splat and then another than another. The sounds were as loud as claps of thunder! And the next thing we knew we were floating in the air like a flock of birds.”
     “I have just realized we are in evaporation. Evaporation is when runoff turns into water vapor or as we call it gas. “I feel like I’m flying I said to myself.” “I know it feels weird!” replied Drippy. “It’s getting cold up here in the atmosphere.” I admitted. “Yeah it’s as cold as an ice cube up here!” stated Marshall. All of a sudden I attracted to a piece of dirt or as Marshall Calls it a “Particle’.  I don’t know how I got up here but I’m about to find out!”  I know what cycle we are in!” yelled Marshall. “Well… What cycle are we in?!” we all shouted back. “We are in the water cycle!” exclaimed Marshall. Yay! We all cheered. We are safe!”
     “The next morning we all woke up, I looked down at my “legs.” They weren’t water anymore they were ice crystals or as we know it snowflakes! Then we dropped. “Aaahhh!” We all yelled in harmony. But then I glided softly to the ground. “What cycle was that?” I asked Marshall. “Precipitation” he said. Precipitation is when rain,snow,sleet or hail falls to the surface of the earth. “Wow that was amazing I wonder what the next stage will be like!
    “ Oww! I complained as I lay on the point of a big smoky gray rock. “That hurt!” I am now a raindrop again not a snowflake. Marshall?.. Drippy?.. Are you on this big pointy rock too? I asked. “No” they answered back.” We are down here!” I looked down oh great now I’m slipping! “It’s okay” Marshall said. In a few minutes we will turn into runoff with the other raindrops! We will end up back in the Atlantic Ocean. But we won’t be on the coast of Florida anymore we will be on the coast of Africa! I guess we will meet new friends! We all said in excitement. A quick little drizzle of rain came in those few minutes and of course more raindrops came and then we all slid into the Atlantic Ocean like people on a water slide! Something was different though… Somebody was missing I knew it wasn’t Drippy because he was right next to me. Marshall I called out he didn’t answer Drippy Marshall is gone! We will probably never see him again! Unless we meet again in the next cycle. Well I hoped and so did Drippy.”
     “We lay there on the see through Atlantic Ocean without Marshall. ’Wait… Drippy do you hear that? “Yeah I did!” he replied back. Marshall is that you?                
     We screamed. “Yes it is me!” he yelled back.” We are north of you!” we screamed. “Come over here!” “Okay on my way!” yelled.  Then it happened the cycle started over. “I wonder if this is going to be our whole life?” I said to Drippy.” Well you better enjoy it while you can!” he replied.
And then the cycle started over and over and over and we landed in new places every time! It was an amazing adventure! You should try it out some time soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment