Monday, January 4, 2016

Letter to Robert Munsch

Dear Robert Munsch,

            At a time in my life when I felt lonely and depressed, as if everyone I knew just blatantly ignored me, I turned to my bookshelf.  There, I came across your book, “Love You Forever.,” and I sat in my room alone and read your words.  Your story both broke my heart and made me cry tears of joy.  You inspired me to write this letter to let you know how your story impacted me socially, politically and spiritually.

            When I was merely six, my mother would read your book to me.  Hearing the story made me feel safe and loved by my mother.  As I got older, my mother started working nights shift and did not have the time for me that she once did.  My father‘s work required him to get up early, so most days he went to bed early.  The only other family member remaining was my brother, and he was “going through” his teen years and didn’t have time for me either.  Most times, I was on my own.

 As I got older, I started reading chapter books.  I viewed picture books with only 20 pages or less as baby books that were pointless.  I was wrong.  Your story has the strength to change lives.  It sure changed mine.  Even though I have had your story read to me a hundred times, reading your story that day for the first time by myself helped me to better understand life, living, coping, and making the most of the time we have.  I came to understand that my family is the most important thing in my world.  I also know that I am not alone.  Although things get busy, my family always has time for me.  You helped me to understand that time with the people we love has an end.  You encouraged me to spend all the time I can with my family because I won’t know when it is our last goodbye. 

When I think of kids that are six or eight years old, I know they usually spend time with their families.  I also think that is probably not the case with most teenagers.  Usually all they want to do is hang out with their friends.  This is why when I read your book I thought about my brother.  He spends little time with our family and prefers time alone in his room.  This both saddens me and motivates me to not become an average teenager. 
Time moves on, people come and go.  Your story taught me the importance of holding on to the people I love as long as I can.  I take this empathetic stance on not only my family, but for people of all walks of life.  This allows me to try and understand all people, even if they have different opinions and beliefs.  Thus, the love shown in this book has taught me tolerance and to accept all. 
                                                                                    Sincerely,

                                                                                                Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment