Monday, January 4, 2016

Letter to Jeff Kinney

Dear Mr. Jeff Kinney,

            “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” changed my feeling about reading.  While I thought reading was a waste of time and a big bore – I learned that reading can be a wonderful, fun, fulfilling experience.  Additionally, your story helped me think about and understand more about who I am and who I want to be. Some would say that is a big claim, especially considering the catapult in my change was inspired by a book with such a whimsical title.
            Laughter is a wonderful and powerful thing.  I enjoyed not only the chuckle and snicker laughs, but also the slap your knee, “bahaha” out loud with tears rolling down my face kind of laughs.  Beyond these laughs, I think that you sent messages in your book about morals and values.  I know you made me reflect about my own.  I have grown socially from reading your work.  I know this because at one point in my life, all I wanted to do was sit at home and play video games. Your words helped me to understand two important messages.  The first is that playing video games all the time is not living a good life, it is wasting one. The second is that building relationships with my friends takes time, commitment, and trust. 
            Your book also impacted me politically.  At school, we are asked to make many posters in support of this and that, to be hung up in the halls.  Your book taught me not to hang just any posters at school without truly learning about and believing in the cause.  After all, true integrity starts with building a clear understanding about what I believe in and why.

                                                                                                Sincerely,

                                                                                                Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment