Monday, January 4, 2016

Letter to Patricia Reilly Giff

Dear Patricia Reilly Giff,

            Dreaming was very hard for me until I read your book, “Wild Girl.”   Your words moved me to start believing more in myself.  Your book led me to know that I have a voice, and I should use my voice to stand up for and support what I believe in.  In short, your story really changed my vision of myself and the life I plan to lead until I die.

            Your book, “Wild Girl” inspired me to move on from the past and let go of my regrets.  I was weighted down by my poor choices, hasty decisions, and uneducated beliefs.  Only when I finally let all this go, did I feel free to really know, understand and accept myself.  Your main characters words and actions truly taught me how to be me and not anyone else.  Since reading this book, I am making much better choices.  I don’t always get in trouble and I know how to control myself better.  When I feel the need to do or say something, I don’t feel pressured or afraid.  The words you gave your book character helped me to understand that everyone is not going to make fun of me for what  I might do or say.

            While I read your book, I thought to myself that people are too worried about what they look like, talk like, and all the rest.  People are consumed with the fear of what others think of them.  The people I meet everyday never let themselves feel free.  Many days, I feel surrounded in a world where people live in fear of being rejected and never know the feeling of self-acceptance.

            Emotions, images and memories were flowing through my head as your book took me on the journey of Lidie’s life.  I could feel the freedom you felt while you rode your horse.  I imagined that I was right there with you.  Reading each and every word as I flipped through the pages, I developed a new picture in my head where I was always with you.

            I came in touch with many emotions as I turned the pages.  I experienced happiness, sadness, determination, and many more emotions on a very personal level.  The emotions I went through were endless and I understood why your words impacted me so strongly.  Your book moved me and changed me because I saw myself in the eyes of your characters and through those words, I slowly began to carve out a hope for my life.  Hope that includes accepting and loving myself.

            So many memories came back to me as I read your book.  One especially hurtful memory that came to me was the memory of being in third grade and being teased for having braces on my teeth.  Many kids passed hurtful comments and some even physically pushed me around.  I didn’t talk much that year because I was so embarrassed.  My lack of communication with my peers led them to believe that I was stupid.  I realize now that if I had just accepted myself, everything would have been quite different.

            I am forever changed, and I am grateful.  I now think of myself as a wonderful girl.  Your story taught me to be true to myself and to always be me. 

            As Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “Be you, everyone else is already taken.”

                                                                                    Thank you for helping me be free,
           

                                                                                    Kylie M

No comments:

Post a Comment