Monday, January 4, 2016

Letter to Suzanne Collins

Dear Suzanne Collins,
           
            At a time in my life when I was jealous of my little brother for practically everything, I checked out your book, “The Hunger Games” from the local library.  At first glance of your book, I thought, “Man, this book is long, and I might not even like it, either.”  But the pages turned and turned with ease and as I neared the dramatic conclusion of the life and death games, I realized that this book impacted me socially, politically, and spiritually.

            This book has taught me a lot of things.  First, it taught me that sometimes rules need to be re-considered and even bent.  Some things are not black and white.  Second, it taught me that sometimes people will trick you to get what they want, like my little brother.  He has been known to lie and say things like, “Dad wants you to make me cereal.”   Your book made me take time to be more aware of who I should trust and that trust is earned, not given.  President Snow is an example of one of those people who play tricks and lies, not for the sake of others, but for himself.

            Panem’s government is very different from our current government.  Their country is divided into 12 districts.  This is quite different from the world I have known.  Your writing has taught me to feel empathy for countries whose leaders are tyrants, like President Snow.  The president you describe escaped my acquired knowledge of adults, and my belief that adults actively choose right from wrong.  Your writing made me grateful for our American way of government that is established “for the people, by the people.”

            Sometimes situations require rules to be broken.  By breaking the rules, sometimes it forces others to think more about the rules, question why, and stir change for the benefit of all.   Like Katniss, sometimes people are forced to break the rules to bring awareness and change.  There hope is not only to make things better for themselves, but for others. 

            Some emotions that arose in me were sadness, anger and empathy, as I became more and more involved in the lives of your characters.  Knowing that some eat well and live spoiled lives while people in neighboring districts are poor and hungry made me feel all of these emotions.   I realize now more then ever that I am very lucky to live the life I have.  I could not imagine myself at ‘the reaping’ or watching a family member being selected for ‘the games.’ 

            I really enjoyed reading your book!  It aroused many emotions inside of me and now more than ever I know to appreciate life and never take it for granted.

            Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and sharing with you how your novel impacted my life.

                                                                                                            Your thankful reader,


                                                                                                            Ericka H.  

No comments:

Post a Comment